What is Tablesetters?
Tablesetters is a community service program currently in place in
several schools in the greater Milwaukee area. Children learn about and
act upon the Catholic teachings on social justice. At St. Rita, we meet
once a month to plan/participate in service opportunities that reflect these
Why the funny name? God calls each of us to “set a place at the table”
for all people. Christ continually invited those who were poor or on the
margins of society to a place at his father’s table. We, in turn, are called to
make a place at the table for all of our brothers and sisters in Christ.
Why should my child participate? It gives students the chance to play a
part in the local and global work of building the kingdom, creating faithfilled
children who learn to internalize and live the gospel values. By
tapping into our students' natural inclination to help others, they begin to
clearly see the connection between service and faith. It’s fun to work
together in serving others!
What are some of the long-range benefits? It fosters a sense of
community and a unity of purpose in our service efforts at St. Rita School.
It creates a sense of stewardship in our students. By sharing of time, talent
and treasure, students can build habits of giving that carry over into
adulthood. An awareness of the world around us and of the needs of
those we encounter are vital to living out our faith.
What did the Tablesetters do last year?
- Went caroling at St. Monica's and in the St. Rita neighborhood.
- Made scarves/hats and collected winter items for the Hospitality Center
- Created cards for our homebound parishioners and Meals on Wheels.
- Planted bulbs in the shrines on the parish grounds.
- Decorated Thanksgiving placemats for a memory care facility.
- Hosted an Earth Friendly Lunch and enhanced the recycling program.
- Prayed a Rosary and made a prayer chain for our priests.
- Collected children’s books and created bags to be used at mass.
- Assembled Valentine kits for the families living at HALO.
- Made Easter crosses for Sienna Center.
When are the meetings?
- Elementary: Third Wednesday of the month after school until 4:30 PM
- Middle school: Second Wednesday of the month after school until 4:30 PM, and fourth Wednesday of the month during lunch/recess.
- Middle schoolers are encouraged to help at the Elementary meetings
- We are hoping to participate in a few service projects "on location" throughout the year. Watch the school newsletter for future service opportunties after school hours or on weekends.
Feel free to contact Jenny Weisensel with questions or concerns at 262-681-5606 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please come and join us in setting a place at the table for everyone! Fill out the permission slip below and return it to school with your child.